Top 10 A24 Movies

Everything Everywhere All At Once, official movie poster. Photo courtesy A24 Films.

Isabella Jenkins, Journalist

A24, a once not very well-known company, has become a bit of a household name in recent years. With popular movies like Hereditary and shows like Euphoria, A24 is an entertainment company that specializes in directing as well as film distribution. This is a look into the top 10 A24 movies in recent years.

Uncut Gems, official movie poster. Photo courtesy A24 Films.

10. Uncut Gems (2019)

Uncut Gems, directed by Josh and Benny Safdie, released on December 25th, 2019, follows a jeweler who makes a high-stakes bet and must balance business and family in order to secure a win. The film is full of great performances and a great storyline. The directing style brings the visual aspect of the movie together. Howard (Adam Sandler), the main character, seems to keep making bad decisions after bad decisions.

Midsommar, official movie poster. Photo courtesy A24 Films.

9. Midsommar (2019)

Directed by Ari Aster and released July 3rd, 2019, Midsommar follows Dani (Florence Pugh), a girl grieving the deaths of her family. She travels to Sweden with her boyfriend and his friends to enjoy a Swedish Midsummer festival, which they later learn is hosted by a violent and strange cult. Florence Pugh is an incredible actress, and her performance in this movie is a fine example of that. Also, the movie is beautiful, with great shots and a color palette that captures the film perfectly. 

Ex Machina Official movie poster. Photo courtesy A24 films.

8. Ex Machina (2015)

Ex Machina, directed by Alex Garland and released April 24th, 2015, follows Caleb(Domhnall Gleeson), the programmer of a huge internet company, who wins a contest that allows him to spend a week at the lavish estate that belongs to the CEO of his company. Caleb learns that he was selected to be a human component in an experiment to determine the capabilities of a beautiful robot named Ava(Alicia Vikander), who turns out to be more aware than she seems. Every scene manages to have tension that keeps you on the edge of your seat. The dialogue and acting are great as well as the visual style of the film. Alicia Vikander’s performance as Ava is a highlight of the film,  her delivery and mannerisms are very resemblant to that of an AI or robot.

Eight Grade official movie poster. Photo courtesy A24 Films.

7. Eighth Grade (2018)

Directed by Bo Burnham and released July 13th, 2018, Eighth Grade follows Kayla(Elsie Fisher)), a suburban teenage girl, as she tries to survive her last week of middle school. This movie just feels real. The portrayal of adolescence is very realistic and moving and the film is a great look into the minds of teenagers and the struggles they face. The way the characters are written is very accurate as well. Eighth Grade is a genuine and powerful film.

Room, official movie poster. Photo courtesy A24 Films.

6. Room (2015)

Room, directed by Lenny Abrahamson and released September 4th, 2015, follows a young mother and her son as they live in captivity and eventually escape. The son, Jack(Jacob Tremblay), has a hard time adjusting to the real world after living in a small room his whole life. Brie Larson(Ma) is incredible in this movie, and her performance is extremely moving. The beginning of the film is hard to watch, as the audience has to see the conditions in which Jack and his mother live in. The writing of this movie is great, and all the actors deliver well. 

Waves official movie poster. Photo courtesy A24 Films.

5. Waves (2019)

Directed by Trey Edward Shults and released November 15th, 2019, Waves follows the emotional journey of a suburban family as they navigate love and loss. This film is incredibly moving and powerful. The plot is heavy, with things like teen pregnancy, drug abuse, and toxic relationships, but the way Waves addresses it is great as an audience member. The themes of grief and forgiveness bring the movie together perfectly.

The Farewell official movie poster. Photo courtesy A24 Films.

4. The Farewell (2019)

The Farewell, directed by Lulu Wang and released July 12th, 2019, follows a Chinese American woman who returns to China under the guise of a wedding. The reality is that the matriarch of her family has terminal cancer and only has a few weeks left to live. The reason this movie is so good is because everyone has lost something important to them before. The writing and performances, especially that of Awkawafina(Billi Wang), are highlights of this movie. The subject matter, at its core, is something everyone can relate to and empathize with. This movie perfectly shows how hard letting go can be. 

Ladybird official movie poster. Photo courtesy A24 Films.

3. Lady Bird (2017)

Directed by Greta Gerwig and released November 3rd, 2017, Lady Bird follows Christine(Saoirse Ronan), a teenage girl living in Sacramento who longs for a life of sophistication. The movie shows her senior year of high school with all its ups and downs. Lady Bird features stellar performances from Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf(Marion McPherson), who perfectly show the turbulent relationship between mother and daughter. This film also has great aesthetics for a coming-of-age movie. Lady Bird is full of well-rounded and nuanced characters for the audience to enjoy.

2. Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)

Directed by Daniel Kwan and released on March 25th, 2022, Everything Everywhere All at Once follows Evelyn Wang (Michelle Yeoh), a Chinese American immigrant, as she uses her newfound powers to fight the dangers of the multiverse. The film features countless great performances from its cast, specifically the lead, Michelle Yeoh. Exploring the multiverse in a film is hard to do and can easily be messed up. However, Everything Everywhere All at Once deals with it in a new, refreshing way. The movie’s themes of generational trauma, love, empathy, and individuality perfectly tie everything together. The best part of this movie is its quirkiness and, in some instances, its absurdity. The directors were not afraid to take risks, which makes for an entertaining movie-going experience. 

Moonlight, official movie poster. Photo courtesy A24 Films.

1. Moonlight (2016)

Moonlight, directed by Barry Jenkins and released on September 2nd, 2016, follows Chiron(Ashton Sanders), a young black man who struggles with his sexuality and identity during his journey into adulthood. The movie is beautifully shot and directed and utilizes its color palette to pull the audience in. The movie shows how he grows up in three different stages of his life. The themes of love, father figures, and masculinity are dealt with very well throughout the movie. Chiron’s struggle with his sexuality is extremely moving as a viewer. Overall, Moonlight is a harrowing story about the transition from boyhood to adulthood and all the struggles that come with it.