Homecoming Improved

Balloon+Arch+at+homecoming+

Autumn Allen

Balloon Arch at homecoming

Autumn Allen, Copy Editor

Homecoming this year took place on October 15th. From the theme to the decorations, to the music, homecoming has taken an improvement from last year.  

This year, instead of the dance being on a Friday night, it was hosted on a Saturday night, which helped remove stress from the preparation process all students usually do for the event. While the spirit week we had for homecoming didn’t live up to the hopes of some students, the decorations at the dance definitely helped to improve their thoughts. With a theme like Casino Royale, it’s hard not to hit the mark. Even before you walked into the school, you could see lights in front of the entrance, a velvet rope separating everyone into two lines, and both sides having a large line of ribbon, glued on casino chips evenly placed out. The rope that separated students helped keep a calmer atmosphere than a mob collected outside the doors from last year. The party got even better once you entered the school.  

As soon as you entered, you saw a VIP wall up for picture taking, and once you signed in, a red, black, and gold balloon arch. Between the balloon arch, two pillars with lights wrapped around them and red sheets covering them were at the entrance to the red commons. The red commons were filled with tables covered in black and red tabletops with casino chips and tower stacks of cards as decorations. Some of the larger decorations, like the stacks of dice, really helped portray the Casino Royale theme in the red commons.  

The dance floor was inside the gym this year instead of the courtyard, feeling much more open than the crowded courtyard from last year. The decorations got even better once you got inside the gym, with multiple photos taking sights, good lighting, and a DJ with a stage. The music that played throughout the night was a different song every time, and this time, the DJ interacted with the audience. They also allowed students to get on the stage, which was a new feature added to the homecoming experience.  

Back in the red commons, the food they had this year had a lot more variety. With healthy options, like grapes and apples, and other sweeter options, like chips, brownies, cookies, and more. They also were much more prepared with the food this year, having a larger quantity of food and water.  

Even though the gym was hot, and some students were getting a bit naughty, this year’s homecoming was a large improvement from last year, and hopefully next year’s homecoming will be even better.