Basketball Season:Back in Session

Photo+Courtesy%2C++Jason+Leung+via+Unsplash+

Photo Courtesy, Jason Leung via Unsplash

Lukas Parks, Senior Journalist

Basketball season is upon us and the Gainesville basketball program is comprised of three teams Varsity, Junior Varsity and Freshmen. The boys Varsity team is headed by Coach Justin Powers, the head coach for JV is Coach Joe Dillard and the freshmen team is coached by Jason Quickley. During tryouts, the coaches assess players’ skills by putting in them different game situations to see how they handle them. Coaches also had complete different drills to see which skills stick out to them and how those skills will be able to help out the team succeed.

Basketball tryouts were held on November 7th and went on till November 9th for both boys and girls. The boys Varsity team is looking to rebound from last season going 7-15 and 2-12 in district play. On the other hand, the girls’ Varsity team is looking forward to keeping their momentum from last year going 12-10 and 4th in district play sadly losing to Woodbridge in the playoffs.  

Overall, there was a good turnout, Although, the number of people that came out for varsity tryouts was not surprising. Only 17 boys tried out for the varsity team and 13 made it. 

The basketball season kicks off the week of November 28th, so make sure you come out to support our teams. Schedule here.