The Cardinal Column

The Student News Site of Gainesville High School

The Cardinal Column

The Cardinal Column

Josie Wilcoski
Josie Wilcoski
April 23, 2024
SZAs SOS Tour
SZA's SOS Tour
April 23, 2024
OJ Simpson is Dead
OJ Simpson is Dead
April 23, 2024

Metal Detectors: Protection or Destruction?

+Miranda+Martinez%2C+Junior%2C+walks+through+the+new+metal+detectors+in+the+front+office%0A
Erynn Alvernaz
Miranda Martinez, Junior, walks through the new metal detectors in the front office

By: Erynn Alvernaz

Most students hate the idea of metal detectors going into our school. Some students are wondering about the practicality of them, while others are wondering about attendance records. School security officer Michael Wall agrees with these measures.

“I think they will make people think twice about bringing things they shouldn’t. Not just weapons, but also drugs.”  Wall said,

I agree, While these measures may stop the Vape pens and Juul pods, that does not mean that they are not practical. These things will supposedly keep guns out of our schools, but how many people have brought guns to school within the past year in PWCS?   

Metal detectors will also be irritating in the sense that binders, water bottles, phones, and computers will set them off. It seems that, instead of giving the schools the funds for more security officers, They are giving us AI-run metal detectors that computers are likely to set off. How many people will be victims of late attendance due to these unneeded security measures? Bags getting searched is a surefire way to make hundreds of students late to their classes, and teachers will have no choice but to give the student an unexcused tardy, possibly tarnishing some near-perfect attendance records.  

In conclusion, metal detectors will be annoying and a liability, not just for students, but also for the teachers that have to go through them as well.