The Cardinal Column

The Student News Site of Gainesville High School

The Cardinal Column

The Cardinal Column

Josie Wilcoski
Josie Wilcoski
April 23, 2024
SZAs SOS Tour
SZA's SOS Tour
April 23, 2024
OJ Simpson is Dead
OJ Simpson is Dead
April 23, 2024

Gainesville FCLA hosts their First Halloween celebrations

FCLA hosted their first Halloween event on the football field on October 28th.

FCLA students, led by Mrs. Julianna Campbell, hosted their first Halloween event on the football field on October 28th. . This was the first time the school and FCLA held an event like this. The main goal for this event for FCLA was to build the community around the school. The event was hosted for young kids, and focused on making sure they had fun and remembered this event fondly. 

“Because Gainesville is such a new school, we’re assessing and really trying to build not just the High School community but the community around the school. Ideally, students who are really young remember coming to these events, and then when they get here they can be part of planning these events.”  Campbell said. “I will remember the community having fun. I love seeing kids running around the football field with their friends and their family, just everyone having a fun and relaxed time and building memories themselves.”

FCLA students were there, carrying out the activities and helping school staff, parents, and kids make sure the event ran smoothly.

“We’re going to do face painting, coloring, temporary tattoos, and then once the sun goes down we can start our movie of the evening [Hotel Transylvania] and then just have a fun time with family and friends.”  Campbell said before the event. 

The kids attending the event were thrilled with FCLA’s activities.

The students in FCLA also had an incredible time hosting the event.

A Junior in FCLA, Evan Kinsel said, “I wanted to do this because our group, philanthropy, doesn’t really do events that big compared to communications or spirit, who do pep rallies. So, I really wanted to do this.”

The event was originally planned to be a trunk-or-treat, but because of various issues FCLA decided to switch up their plans to better suit a growing community. 

“We were originally going to do a Trunk-or-Treat but I think because the community is still pretty new, the interest wasn’t there as much this year but definitely we will be planning it [Trunk-or-Treat] for next year as well.”  Campbell said.

Students in FCLA felt the same way. 

“I’m hoping for a good time for the children who come, I hope that we get known more because, honestly, compared to Patriot we aren’t really in the community.” Kinsel said, “Patriot, you see their events like their trunk-or-treat or their Fall Festival, but this is our first time doing something like that. But overall, I want SALC to get more out there and hopefully host events that’s big for the community like Patriot.” Overall, the event was a success, despite the setbacks the group faced. There is an urge to upscale events like this in the future, and people around the school like Mrs. Campbell and FCLA students are hoping that they can host Trunk-or-Treats in the future.