The Cardinal Column

The Student News Site of Gainesville High School

The Cardinal Column

The Cardinal Column

Josie Wilcoski
Josie Wilcoski
April 23, 2024
SZAs SOS Tour
SZA's SOS Tour
April 23, 2024
OJ Simpson is Dead
OJ Simpson is Dead
April 23, 2024

Gainesville’s Holiday Cheer

Throughout the last five days before the overdue winter break, Gainesville High School showed their holiday cheer through our school’s spirit days. Each of the five days had their own unique topic that guided the students to join in on the spirit.  

The school’s spirit week began on Thursday December 14. Due to winter break beginning on the 21st, Gainesville High School officials decided to begin spirit week the week before. Flannel day was the first day of the winter spirit. While there are some extravagant spirit days such as holiday character day on the 20th, you must make sure there are days that everyone can participate in. If there are just a bunch of days where nobody can participate then the spirit week is a waste. 

The second day followed with Pajama Day. This is a classic that everyone can enjoy. It may seem boring to some, but this day always gets a lot of spirit in the school. Thus, creating a broader sense of community in the halls. 

For our third day, the school chose Holiday Hat Day. I personally thought this day was not one of our strongest picks. Not a lot of people have holiday hats; plus, this day was very limited in terms of what you can do with it. I mean, everyone was just wearing Walgreens Santa hats at that point. However, we still had a decent number of students participate which kept the spirit going. 

Nearing the end of our first spirit week of the 2023-2024 school year, we began our closing with ugly sweater day. This was my personal favorite as it gave me an excuse to wear one of my many grandpa sweaters. This one always seems to be a hit for the students because it is comfy, yet still holds the holiday cheer. I don’t know which day had more participants, Ugly sweater or flannel day. I think the two were even in terms of the people I saw walking the halls. 

Ending our spirit week with a bang, we had our classic Holiday Character Day. This is a harder day to participate in, but the people who do always manage to make up for the lack of spirit on those days. We always have a couple who really just go over the top with their costumes. It definitely makes for a good laugh when the day is said and done. 

I’ve never been one to really involve myself with spirit days. Most of the time I simply forget, or I just pay no mind to it. However, it is a nice concept to show community within the school. Getting all the students together to show spirit without having to hold a large rally is always a good way to go. Even if some of the days are quite dull.