The Cardinal Column

The Student News Site of Gainesville High School

The Cardinal Column

The Cardinal Column

Josie Wilcoski
Josie Wilcoski
April 23, 2024
SZAs SOS Tour
SZA's SOS Tour
April 23, 2024
OJ Simpson is Dead
OJ Simpson is Dead
April 23, 2024

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

IMDb

Lionsgate Studios presents The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, directed by Francis  Lawrence. Lawrence previously directed The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay parts one and two. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes has a rating of 89 rotten tomatoes on an audience score. Released on November 17, 2023, it follows the story of Coriolanus Snow, otherwise known as President Snow, and his mentorship and romance with Lucy Grey, the tribute from District Twelve.  

People have stopped watching the Hunger Games, so the mentorship program is born.  Students from the Academy in the Capitol are chosen to mentor a certain tribute, and the mentor of the lone surviving tribute gets the Plinth Prize. It acts as a scholarship, granting the winner the money to afford the University.  

The plot of the movie was congruent to that of the book. The acting was phenomenal, and the actors portrayed the characters accurately. All the music was great, although my favorite songs  are ‘Nothing you can take from me’ and ‘The old therebefore’. The best part of the movie is  when Coriolanus is chosen to Be the mentor to Lucy Grey, which later starts him down a path of ruthlessness and cruelty.  

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is a great movie and I would recommend it to  everyone, Hunger Games fan or not.