The Cardinal Column

The Student News Site of Gainesville High School

The Cardinal Column

The Cardinal Column

Josie Wilcoski
Josie Wilcoski
April 23, 2024
SZAs SOS Tour
SZA's SOS Tour
April 23, 2024
OJ Simpson is Dead
OJ Simpson is Dead
April 23, 2024

Percy Jackson: Was it Good?

Disney

Disney + presents Percy Jackson and the Olympians, directed by James Bobbin. Bobbin has directed Clue, The Muppets, and Alice Through the Looking Glass, among others. The show has a rating of 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. Released on Dec. 19, 2023, Percy Jackson follows the story of a twelve-year-old named Percy Jackson. Percy is tasked with finding Zeus’s lightning bolt and has to bring it to Olympus by the summer solstice, or Zeus will go to war with Poseidon.  

The plot of the show matches the plot of the book, The Lightning Thief, which was written by Rick Riordan in 2005. The acting was amazing because the actors really matched their characters’ personalities and represented those characters very well. For example, actor Walker Scobell, who plays Percy Jackson, has done an outstanding job with his performances, being able to get Percy’s attitude down to small details, like small sarcastic remarks or being clueless in general, as well as small fidgeting movements, seeing as Percy has ADHD. Another actress, Leah Sarah Jeffries, who plays the role of Annabeth Chase, acted amazingly. Jefferies uses the right amount of dry humor that, when mixed with her serious attitude, leads to the creation of an amazing Annabeth.  

Additionally, the set design of small and large things like the Montauk beach house, Riptide, and the glow of Celestial Bronze weapons really represent the effort placed into creating the series. Also, the designs of scenery like the Underworld, Mount Olympus, and Camp Half-Blood have been carried out well and with minimal errors.  

The show is great, and I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of having read the books or not.