The Cardinal Column

The Student News Site of Gainesville High School

The Cardinal Column

The Cardinal Column

Josie Wilcoski
Josie Wilcoski
April 23, 2024
SZAs SOS Tour
SZA's SOS Tour
April 23, 2024
OJ Simpson is Dead
OJ Simpson is Dead
April 23, 2024

TikTok Sounds Copyright Issue

TikTok sounds copyright restrictions are a recurring issue. Some sound creators’ content may not actually touch on copyright laws. This touches creators who have their sound removed with a reason. Sometimes the restrictions can be too unfair and can lead to frustration. This shuts down users from creating content freely. 

TikTok sounds enhance videos and adds to TikTok’s popularity. The removal of these sounds leaves creators disappointed. Creating a positive platform seems more important than the creators’ success.  

TikTok sounds show creativity and build followers. Many of them help express an individual’s artistic and unique originality. One of the causes for the sound removal is copyright misdemeanor. TikTok faces consequences from the rightful owners to mute the sound when users use sounds that are not theirs and do not have authorization to use. 

The sound removal dims the light on user’s creativity and limits their ability to create content for viewers. Sometimes this gets so bad that a user who uses all licensed sounds can decrease their followers and popularity.  

There are a few potential solutions. TikTok can educate users about the copyright rules and a safer way of how to use licensed sounds. Also, users can have a better understanding of the importance of property rules and regulations. TikTok can discuss licensing agreements with people in charge of copyright to provide a larger range of sounds that are safe to use. Publicizing music made by creators of their original sound can soothe sound removal. Keeping a society of talented people can help rely less on copyright enforced property and focus on users who made their own.  

TikTok sounds are an important part of the platform’s success. The removal of the sounds limits user availability to create content and damages the platform’s legitimacy. By spreading awareness of the dangers of copyright TikTok can have a good reputation where sounds are safe and available to use.