The Cardinal Column

The Student News Site of Gainesville High School

The Cardinal Column

The Cardinal Column

Josie Wilcoski
Josie Wilcoski
April 23, 2024
SZAs SOS Tour
SZA's SOS Tour
April 23, 2024
OJ Simpson is Dead
OJ Simpson is Dead
April 23, 2024

OJ Simpson is Dead

On April 10, 2024, football star and acquitted murderer OJ Simpson died of cancer at 76 years old.  

Simpson earned his fortune through football and acting., Simpson played eleven seasons of NFL football, nine of them with the Buffalo Bills, which had put Simpson as a No. 1 pick in the 1969 NFL draft. Simpson scored 76 touchdowns and made nine All-Pro Squads and played in five Pro Squads.  

Simpson married Nicole Brown in 1985, and they had two children, Justin and Sydney, and divorced in 1992. Two years later, Brown Simpson was murdered. along with her friend, Ronald Goldman.   On June 12, 1994, the bodies of Brown Simpson and Goldman were found outside Brown Simpson’s apartment building in Brentwood, Los Angeles. Simpson was a lead suspect in their murders, but instead of turning himself in, Simpson led the police on a low-speed car chase throughout Los Angeles.  

Simpson was found not guilty of murder by a criminal court jury in 1995, although a civil trial jury found him liable for the deaths of Brown Simpson and Goldman, forcing Simpson to pay $33.5 million to the families of the deceased.  

Years later, Robert Murdoch canceled a book of OJ’s account of the supposed murders. It was to be titled “If I Did It.” Goldman’s family, who had been hounding the wrongful death judgment, got control of the manuscript and retitled it “If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer.” When asked about it, Simpson called it “blood money.” Simpson had already been paid $880,000 dollars.