Senior Information Night: What You Need to Know

Katelyn Burton

Graduation gown displayed, photo courtesy of Katelyn Burton

Katelyn Burton, Copy Editor

This year, seniors are presented with the unique opportunity to be the first graduating class of the school and pave the way for future graduating classes of GHS. Here are some things seniors need to know.

Starting in October, school counselors will offer senior check-ins during lunch so that students can talk and meet with their counselors if they haven’t already. Also, on October 10th, the school will be holding a financial aid workshop to help seniors work through the financial element of their college journey. Counselors encourage seniors to check the counseling canvas page for the “senior” tab, the senior tab goes into detail about scholarships and colleges as well as non-college options like military, careers, and gap years.

Another website that is important for seniors to check out is Naviance. Naviance has several great resources for students such as personality-based career tests that provide a wide array of results and options based on the test’s results. Also, Naviance gives directions for asking for and submitting letters of recommendation. Seniors are also encouraged to talk to the school’s new college and careers counselor, Mrs. Harris.

Not only did the night provide valuable information for options beyond high school, but also provided a sneak peek of the first GHS graduation. A mock-up of the cap and gown was displayed, showing a red gown and a white stole with the Pathways symbol on one side and the Gainesville high school coat of arms on the other. Students are required to purchase both the cap and the gown but are also allowed to customize the outfit for an additional price.

Needless to say, the school and counselors have provided all the tools and more that students need to achieve their future goals.